Image Credit: The Lad Bible
Apple has recently revealed the first look at brand new features coming soon to iOS 10, referred to by Apple CEO Tim Cook as “the mother of all releases”. Although it won’t be finished and released until Autumn, it already look as though there is a lot of new features coming soon, including changes to iMessage, Photos, Maps, Siri and more, as well as a redesign of News and Music.
New Notifications and Lock Screen
Within the lock screen, notifications will appear larger, as well as the new ability of being able to swipe right for quick access to the camera. Swiping left on the lock screen will take you to the ‘Today’ screen, which shows all of your widgets. The ability for Raise to Wake will also be implemented, to allow the screen to automatically switch on when the phone is lifted.
New Features for messages
One new feature for messages is the ability to send different types of messages, such as drawings and heartbeats, like those on the Apple Watch. This will include the ability to send hand written messages, as shown in the article image at the top of the page.
Messages can also now be linked to other apps such as Music and sticker packs, which can be used to share other information with your friends. Some emojis are now 3 times larger, and words with corresponding emojis will now be highlighted so you can easily tap them to convert them to an emoji!
There are also three new bubble effects:
- “Say it loud” will increase the size of the bubble and its text
- “Slow-to-exist” texts can be used for saying something gently as they appear more slowly
- “Invisible Ink” texts and images require the reader to swipe their finger over it to reveal what’s beneath.
Other New Features
There is a bunch of other new features, such as:
- Apple Music now focuses on the album art, and opens on the library page.
- The clock app is now black, and the Bedtime Mode feature will alert you when it’s time to go to bed!
- Calendar is more organised, and will suggest events based upon your messages and mail.
- The photo app allows you to edit live photos and create automated slideshows and albums.
- Control centre is now in colour and the now playing widget gets its own screen.
- Siri understands a lot more natural language and supports more 3rd party apps.
- Apple Maps have been improved – a lot!
- And much much more!!
When will iOS 10 be released?
- The developer preview is available now!
- The public beta test arrives in July (https://beta.apple.com/)
- The Free Upgrade will be released in Autumn
Finally, what devices are supported?
This is the list of devices that will support iOS 10 –
- iPhone 5
- iPhone 5c
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPad 4th Gen
- iPad Air
- iPad Air 2
- iPad Pro
- iPad Mini 2
- iPad Mini 3
- iPad Mini 4
- iPod Touch 6th Gen
Are you looking forward to iOS 10?
Let us know below!